Sunday, August 18, 2013

1987 AP Exam

While taking this exam I found it to be challenging. This is my first time seeing an AP Exam so I expected it to be a challenge. I thought that there were very little easy questions. Most of them seemed to be hard and extremely hard. From this I learned that I need to learn more vocabulary because there are a lot of words on there that were new to me. On the test there were a total of 47 questions and I scored a 26 on it. Which means that I got a 55%. I don't see this as a bad thing, I see it as a chance to work on and improve on what I am going to need for when I take the actual AP Test. 

Question 1.
Old Leisure
     Leisure is simply free time. George Eliot insist that old leisure is gone in the time period she is in. Old leisure in her time is finding an easier way to do things. Direct characterization is one of the ways used to prove her point.
     Everybody uses leisure in different ways. In our time it means free time. In Eliot's time it is being lazy. An example of direct characterization is the invention of the steam engine. This supports Eliot's style of leisure because before steam engines, people had to ride horses and travel during the day. The steam engine made it possible for people to sit in a train and transport bigger things and travel twice as fast. This made people become lazy and they started to use a train just to save time and not do as much work. 
     As you can see, leisure in Eliot's time does mean that you are lazy. This is because people wanted to save time and not work as hard. 

Question 2
Changes
     In Barbara Kingsolver's book The Poisonwood Bible, she modifies how a father should be towards his family. A father should look out for the family and do what is best for them. In The Poisonwood Bible father does just the opposite. He does this through his actions.
     It seems like father in The Poisonwood Bible never really loved his family. That is something that a father should do. An example that shows how Kingsolver modifies how a father should be towards his family is by father's lack of communication. Every time one of his family members tried to talk to him he just got mad and ended the conversation were it was. Another example is when he through his wife to the ground. This is another thing a father should never do and Kingsolver modifies him by making him do that. 
     Kingsolver wants to modify the way a father treats his family. This is done very well in The Poisonwood Bible because he just does that through his actions. He completely cuts them off and wants nothing to do with them.

I do not think that I did very well on these essays because before I new it the 35 minutes were up. I timed myself to see how I would do and I need to improve my time.

1 comment:

  1. "Old Leisure"
    I'd give it a 4, because most statements were true. Try to expand your writing by making sentences more complex, and add more to the essay. It was very short.
    "Changes"
    I'd give it a 3, because the prompt wasn't answered to its fullest potential. There were many more attitudes and topics that Kingsolver wished to modify within the book like politics or religion. The over-use of the word "father" really stands out. Try calling him "Nathan" or "Reverend Price" every once in a while. Good examples, but still try to brainstorm ways to make complex sentences and add some bigger words in there as well. Spelling errors include: through-threw; were-where.
    Just a tip, try to put more detail into the writing, and try to draw your reader in with a good opening paragraph!

    ReplyDelete